If there's an image you like, I can put together a custom order for you. Via: www.ramonarode.etsy.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Success!!!!



I finally figured out where I was going wrong with gel medium image transfers!
I never read or heard explicitly that the original image had to be printed with a laser printer i.e. photocopy...or maybe it was my ignorance as to what "laser printer" meant figuring my at home printer would suffice ;)

Anyways I've made 2 successful image transfers onto different surfaces (canvas and wood).
I'm VERY excited about this new technique and the potential future with RamonaRode photos!  it's super easy (when you do it right) and cheap.  You just have to be patient.

p.s. I did not create the original graphic and do not intend to sell it (found it on pinterest)...but don't you just love the quote?  it's totally how I feel all winter.
 

So this is how you do it properly
  1. Photocopy your image - colour or black and white (or use a LASER printer). *remember to flip your image if there's writing, otherwise it will transfer backwards*
  2. Use a paint brush to put a thin coat of gel medium directly on the image (I used Tri-Art Gel Medium in Gloss).
  3. Lay the image onto your surface.  Use a brayer or another smooth object to rub out any bubbles.  The paper needs to be completely adhered to the surface or that part of the image wont transfer.  
  4. Leave overnight to dry.
  5. Once dried, wet the surface of the paper with your fingers and slowly start rubbing off the paper.  Only the paper will rub off, the image will remain!
  6. Finish with a coat of gloss if desired.  
Voila!

No comments: